13 December 2008

Jumping Pando, Pjeckae, Ren-I-Police, Tsuji Shion: Chelsea Hotel, Shibuya, 12 Dec 2008

Ren
Ren from Ren-I-Police

This gig had me worried. Being my first time going to a live house in Japan, I was expecting to be the oldest in the place. Thankfully, bands with pretty girl singers draw old grizzled blokes out of the woodwork so I could chill out a bit.

First up, Jumping Pando rocked the house like Daisy Chainsaw. I loved the grungey chords, distortion a-go-go. In a word, wicked. The singer and guitarist are really cool, and in fact the singer is maybe the most energetic person I have ever met.

Next up Pjeckae (pech-ka) sorted out another dollop of rock with a side-salad of roll. They had a more laidback vibe going on and even a ballad, which was good but just not exactly my cup of tea. Still, the singer is very nice.

Ren-I-Police drew me here. I wasn't disappointed by their set either. Melodic punkish pop-rock awesomeness. They rocked out, Ren really fronting the band and Marty kicking the fretboard fireworks. That I was already drunk by this point only enhanced the fun.

Tsuji Shion was not my kind of thing - a bit too poppy for me and though she was the headline act with a debut single it felt like a bit of a comedown after Ren-I-Police's high-octane set. Having this much fun at a live house, I'll be going again.

No comments: